Tuesday 10 April 2012

BASIL PESTO (GENOVESE)


About 15 years ago when I had just begun discovering new tastes, I had the opportunity to savour this lovely, flavourful pesto served as a base sauce with cream for my favourite Potato Gnocchi at an Italian restaurant. I have ever since become a fan of this dish. This one is another one of my comfort foods and also that of my two kids. Every time my family goes to an Italian restaurant we get it made especially for us, if it is not on the menu.
I use this paste for sandwiches, pastas, most vegetables, even filling inside unbaked breads and Indian flat breads, in rice, on starters, as a dip and what-not. The list is endless.

Earlier I was quite intimidated by Pesto, thinking it was too difficult to make. But then I realised it was nothing but a Chutney that we Indians make with coriander or mint. The only difference being the addition of Cheese and Olive Oil. Once I connected this information it became so very simple and easy to make.
After a few attempts I have now perfected this recipe and it tastes just like the one used in the Potato Gnocchi in Pesto that I ate at the restaurant 15 years ago.
I make a fresh batch every week. I don't freeze this but fill it in a glass bottle and store in the refrigerator.
Genovese, the most common of the cultivars of the Mediterranean region, gives this pesto its unique flavour.

Basil leaves are very delicate and do not last long in the refrigerator and should be added at the very last moment to hot food to get the maximum flavour. They taste amazing in salads.


basil pesto (genovese)


BASIL PESTO (GENOVESE)
makes approx. 1 cup

.Sweet Basil leaves......................3 cups tightly packed
.Garlic.........................................3 large cloves, chopped
.Parmesan cheese........................3 Tbsp.
.Pine nuts.....................................3 Tbsp.
.Black pepper..............................1 tsp., crushed (or to taste)
.Salt.............................................to taste
.Extra virgin olive oil.....................1/2 cup
.Lime juice...................................2 tsp.
.Lime zest....................................of 1 lime

Method:
.Blitz together all the ingredients except olive oil.
.When well ground into a paste slowly drizzle 1/4th cup olive oil through the opening at the top of the
 processor.
.Remove into a glass jar and top with the remaining oil.
.Refrigerate.

Note:
.I like the paste to be slightly coarse, the pine nuts just a wee-bit smaller than semolina.
.Please do not use Thai basil or any other basil as the flavour is not the same.
.You can substitute the nuts with almonds or walnuts but I still prefer Pine Nuts.
.Please be safe when using food processors and do not stick your hand in the machine while it is 
 working.
.Switch off the machine after use.

No comments:

Post a Comment