Monday 12 March 2012

THE RED-PURPLE PUREE

All my life I had been having a love-hate relationship with this vegetable.
I loved the colour and hated the flavour.
I think it is the Boron in it that gives it that smell that reminds me of a pesticide DDT, I knew as a kid.
But it has so much good that I have found a way to just love it.
I use this puree as a base in my doughs of various kinds of breads, or in dips to add the colour and the
This is the basic puree that by addition of a few spices I turn into delectable condiments.

THE RED-PURPLE PUREE
BEETROOT PUREE

Ingredients:
gives approximately 3 cups

.Beetroot......................800gm., boiled and cubed
.Fresh red chili.............1, finely chopped
.Salt..............................to taste

Method:
.Boil the beetroot in a pressure cooker for 7 to 8 minutes for until cooked.
.Peel, top and tail and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
.Chop the red chili.Add salt to taste.
.Pulverize all the ingredients together in a blender to make the fine paste.
.Use as much as you require and store the excess in the freezer in cube form.
.Take 1 Tbsp. of the puree and put in each compartment of the ice tray. Freeze.
.When hardened remove the cubes and freeze in a ziplock bag for later use.

Note:
The best way to cook beetroots are by boiling in a pressure cooker for 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool and the skin just slips off.
DO NOT top and tail or peel before boiling as it will lose all its flavour.



back to Puffed beetroot bread



No comments:

Post a Comment