Thursday 9 February 2012

PEPPER PEAS ON TOAST

Good Morning!! to all my friends in the Eastern Hemisphere and
 Good Evening!! to all my friends in the Western Hemisphere..

 This morning while waking up my 17 year old son Avik and my 12 year old daughter Anana I thought about the sweet things they do to make my husband and me smile, and this led me thinking about what I used to do to make my parents happy as  a young child and remembered this story. It makes me smile and I thought I would share it with all my friends.

I was in junior college when my mother had taken ill and I took it upon myself to cook for the family. They were simple everyday meals but I wanted to impress my father as most girls like to. So all breakfasts, lunches and dinners were cooked by me and after mom became well I still continued to make the chappatis (Indian flatbread) on the behest of my father, who said I made the best chappatis in the family.
Later on much after I got married I was relating this to my husband and he said that it was my father trying to encourage me so I got better at it.

Well, I would like to dedicate my first recipe ever on this blog to my dear father whom I love so much and wish he was here in this world with me. He would have been happy to see the way I have turned out to be.

This is a simple recipe my father made for us kids often at breakfast. I loved it then and I love it now.
Breads available in India those days, where I grew up, were mostly white.
I have brought in a wholesome change in the recipe by using multigrain bread.

pepper peas on toast(multigrain beetroot baguette)

If made at home this bread can be made more wholesome by adding beetroot or spinach for the colour and the nutrients that come with them.

PEPPER PEAS ON TOAST
Makes a great breakfast dish, tastes lovely with fresh peas and does equally well with frozen baby peas.
Serves 2 or a very greedy 1 (like me)
Ingredients:
.Olive oil.......................1/2 Tbsp*
.Butter............................1/2 Tbsp
.Cumin seeds..................1 tsp*
.Frozen peas....................2 cups
.Green chili.....................2 tsp finely chopped
.Black pepper powder....8 dashes*
.Salt ................................to taste
.Lemon juice....................2 tsp
.Coriander leaves fresh...2 tsp finely chopped
.Multigrain bread slices..4


Method:
.Reserve half the butter and olive oil and heat the remaining fat in a flat pan.
.When hot add the cumin seeds.
.When toasted(almost immediately) add the peas, salt and pepper, green chili.
.Mix well and cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked. The peas will cook in their own steam.
.Mix in the lemon juice and coriander leaves and set aside in a serving dish.
.Mix together the butter and olive oil and brush the bread slices with it and toast them on both sides in   
 the same pan and serve hot.

Spoon in with a bite of the bread and enjoy!!

*6 dashes make 1 tsp
*Tbsp is Tablespoon
*tsp is teaspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment